Dark and, at times, amusing fiction from award-winning author Dave Zeltserman

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

My first podcast and other news

My first podcast, Dark Crime Fiction, Volume 1 can be found as an MP3 at:

http://www.hardluckstories.com/podcasts/darkcrimevolume1.mp3

and at the iTunes store at:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=278121037

This first volume is made up of my three bogusly autobiographical "life in writer's hell" stories: More Than a Scam, Flies, She Stole My Fortune! -- and is about 40 minutes long. Each future volume will be made up of equally dark crime fiction, both previously published and original. What I've learned doing this is (1) I need a better microphone (2) there's definitely a learning curve to this stuff, especially in building the rss file that iTunes needs (and in knowing that you need a professional microphone!). If anyone has suggestions on where and how to advertise crime fiction podcasts, please let me know!

Now for some news--Five Star will be publishing the sequel to Bad Thoughts, Bad Karma, Fall of 2009. While Bad Thoughts is kind of a grim and odd mix of horror and crime, Bad Karma fits squarely in the hardboiled PI genre, although with a new age twist. I think it's a fun book, my wife's favorite, and the one that I've been saving to dedicate to her.

Other news--I just had my first novella accepted by Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine. More about this later.

3 comments:

Mystery Dawg said...

Very cool. Enjoyed listening to this.

What is your set up?
Aldo

Dave Zeltserman said...

Hey Aldo, pretty low rent right now--a cheap microphone that I had lying around, and I downloaded Audacity and EasyPodcast. Audacity has some nice features, like removing background noise, but I think the key is a professional microphone, which I'll be getting before I do volume 2.

Don Anderson said...

Great news about BAD KARMA, Dave. I'm still anxiously waiting for my copy of SMALL CRIMES to arrive from Serpent's Tail.