Dark and, at times, amusing fiction from award-winning author Dave Zeltserman

Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Having some fun - a 145-word flash fiction crime story

This year's Crime Bake is having a flash fiction contest with the following rules: 150 words or less, and must use 10 of the following words: basement, butterfly, charcoal, cinnamon, dress, devil, dog, evil, faith, fear, fortunate, fry, kiss, mistake, outnumbered, pieces, river, sea, thrill, wave.

As a panelist, I can't submit to the contest, but it sounded like a fun way to procrastinate, so after a half hour, here's what I came up with:



Cinnamon Girl

The job was a bad one from the beginning. Dougherty had gotten careless and didn’t realize there was a witness until she ran naked from the basement apartment clutching her dress. All Red Mahoney could tell me was that she was small and skinny with straight cinnamon-colored hair reaching halfway down her back, and a pink butterfly tattooed on her right ass cheek. There was no point in me complaining about having to clean up Dougherty’s mistake. He's Mahoney’s brother-in-law.

That was three weeks ago. Her hair’s been cut short and dyed to the color of charcoal, but her kiss still tastes like cinnamon, and I’ve seen the butterfly up close and personal.

It would be an evil thing for me to finish the job. If Mahoney knew, he’d have me cut up and the pieces thrown in the river.

I’ll take my chances.
 ##

No comments: