Thursday, October 8, 2015
Tuesday, October 6, 2015
I have a new psycho noir story "Something's Not Right" in the recently published anthology JEWISH NOIR.
A new Julius Katz story coming! Look for 'Julius Katz and the Giftwrapped Murder' in the next issue of Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine.
Wednesday, September 30, 2015
Monday, September 28, 2015
Sunday, September 20, 2015
"a memorable winner" Boston Globe
"This eerie thriller deftly blurs the lines between madness and the perception of reality." Star-Ledger
"Zeltserman’s signature creepiness is available here and there, but what really drives this novel is the engaging portrait of an honest, hardworking cop who, on the job and off, gives the best he’s got, knowing how rarely it will be enough." Kirkus Reviews
With baseball playoffs only a few weeks away, I thought I'd look back at A Killer's Essence, which takes place during the most exciting time in recent history for Red Sox fans--the 2004 ALCS
While A Killer's Essence is a dark noirish tale with more than a dollop of weirdness, it's also in a way an ode to those playoffs. Just as The Bad Lieutenant is centered around a (fictitious) Mets-Dodgers National League Championship series, same is true with A KILLER'S ESSENCE and a very real 2004 ALCS Red Sox-Yankees series, and is written from the POV of a diehard Yankees fan (and yes, I had a lot of fun doing that--as the Boston Globe noted "Now, in “A Killer’s Essence,’’ comes the ultimate in empathizing with the dark side. Zeltserman, who lives and dies with the Red Sox, creates a protagonist who - the horror - is a Yankees fan.)
Here's a short excerpt:
The wake started to lose steam around midnight. Word had spread that the Yankees got bombed badly by Boston which only added to the weirdness of the night. It was just a baseball game, it didn’t really mean shit. Inside the restaurant was reality. A good husband, a damn good father, and a hell of a friend dead for no reason that made any sense. I don’t know, though, you grow up with certain absolutes, like believing in the law of gravity, and then learn at age thirty-nine that it’s all bullshit. Yankees are supposed to win championships, Red Sox are supposed to find ways to lose them. Now, after blowing a three to nothing lead, the Yankees end up suffering what could be the worst choke job in the history of baseball, maybe in all of sports. It wasn’t supposed to be that way. While Boston would still have plenty of opportunities to blow the World Series, it still seemed as if the world had been flipped on its head. Maybe hell did freeze over and I just hadn’t gotten the weather report.
Tuesday, August 11, 2015
Thursday, July 30, 2015
Friday, July 3, 2015
A full case history in the order in which they were originally written:
1) JULIUS KATZ, originally published in the Sept/Oct 2009 issue of Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, Shamus & Derringer award winner, 3rd place in Ellery Queen's Readers Choice Award, honorable mention in Best American Mystery Stories, reprinted in THE JULIUS KATZ COLLECTION
2) ARCHIE'S BEEN FRAMED, originally published in the Sept/Oct 2010 issue of Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, 1st place in Ellery Queen's Readers Choice Award, reprinted in THE JULIUS KATZ COLLECTION
3) JULIUS KATZ & ARCHIE, original novel published May 2011
4) ONE ANGRY JULIUS AND ELEVEN BEFUDDLED JURORS, originally published in the June 2012 issue of Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, 9nth place in Ellery Queen's Readers Choice Award, reprinted in THE JULIUS KATZ COLLECTION
5) ARCHIE SOLVES THE CASE, originally published in the May 2013 issue of Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, 1st place in Ellery Queen's Readers Choice Award, reprinted in THE JULIUS KATZ COLLECTION
6) JULIUS KATZ AND A TANGLED WEB, originally published in the March/April 2014 issue of Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, reprinted in THE JULIUS KATZ COLLECTION
7) JULIUS ACCUSED, originally published in the JUNE 2014 issue of Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, reprinted in THE JULIUS KATZ COLLECTION
8) JULIUS KATZ AND THE CASE OF EXPLODING WINE, originally published in the March/April 2015 issue of Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine
9) JULIUS KATZ AND THE GIFTWRAPPED MURDER, to be published by Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine
10) JULIUS KATZ AND THE CASE OF A SLICED HAM, originally published in THE JULIUS KATZ COLLECTION
11) ARCHIE ON LOAN, to be published by Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine
12) CRAMER IN TROUBLE, to be published by Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine
Thursday, June 25, 2015
KILLER has been get outstanding reviews in German newspapers and by German readers, has twice been picked by their crime jury for their April and May top ten crime novels list, and now has been picked by the German Magazine KulturNews as the best book of the month.