Dark and, at times, amusing fiction from award-winning author Dave Zeltserman

Friday, July 24, 2009

Julius Katz



I've got the lead story in the Sept/Oct issue of Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, available at newsstands next week. Actually, since my story "Julius Katz" weighs in at 18,000 words, I've really got the lead novella. "Julius Katz" is my tribute to Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe, which has always been one of my favorites. In my version the Archie Goodwin character is a 4 inch piece of space age technology (and worn as a tie clip) who is constantly trying to modify his neuron network so he can beat Julius Katz to the punch in solving a murder. Julius is the brilliant Nero Wolfe-like detective, although in his case while an epicurean, he's a wine enthusiast, man about town, and very fit martial arts expert. The best way to describe this story is charming. Don't believe me? Check it out!

9 comments:

Corey Wilde said...

Zeltserman / charming, Zeltserman / charming, Zeltserman / charming...

Yeah, I'm having trouble seeing that. Gotta get me some new specs.

Dave Zeltserman said...

Corey, I swear, that's how Janet Hutchings (EQMM editor) described the story when she contacted me about it. You'll see. Hell, Bad Karma, out this October is a fun + quirky nice guy PI. But then I'm back to pure darkness with Killer. Then in February something completely different with Caretaker of Lorne Field. I'll be leaving people dizzy.

mybillcrider said...

A very entertaining tale it is.

Dave Zeltserman said...

thanks, Bill.

Corey Wilde said...

I can't recall seeing EQMM for sale anywhere around here for several years. I'll have to call B&N and see what's up.

Dave Zeltserman said...

I did find an eBook version available at:

http://store.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b92104/a-href-ebooks-b92104-Ellery-Queens-Mystery-Magazine-September-October-2009-Dell-Magazine-Authors-si45Ellery-Queens-Mystery-Magazine-September-October-2009-a/Dell-Magazine-Authors/?&si=45

Joe Barone said...

Dare I say this? I loved the story. I have to admit it is the first thing of yours I've read. I will read more.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Great story too

Dave Zeltserman said...

Joe, Archavist, thanks, glad you liked Julius, and hopefully followup stories will appear in the future.

--Dave